Determine” scale score
Joan is an 82 year old woman whose husband died last year. Now, she lives alone in a small apartment with no money for “luxuries.” She has no family or friends in the area, having relocated for her husband’s job. She takes medication for type 2 diabetes but has had increasing difficulty controlling her blood sugar because of her “sweet tooth.” She generally eats alone and reluctantly admitted she has been drinking more than she used to (at least 3 alcoholic beverages a day). Although she is able to cook, she prefers not to and frequently skips meals. She also admits that she won’t eat anything green so her diet is lacking vegetables. She has been referred for nutritional counseling because she has lost 20 pounds this past year without dieting. She is 5’5’’ tall and weighs 110 pounds.
1. Using the “Determine” scale printed on page 279 of your text, what is her score? What does that score mean?
2. What factors contributed to Joan’s weight loss?
3. What do you think is the underlying issue causing the weight loss?
4. What should be done in the short term to help Joan with her weight?
5. What should be done long term to help her maintain good health?