This chapter introduces the topic of globalization and explains some of the historical reasons behind it and it’s impact on the average citizen.
1. The Global Economy, the Privileged Class… (PDF file below)
2. Reader 31: The End of Work – Rifkin
3. Video: Is Wal-Mart Good for America? (Below)
Wal-Mart is the world’s biggest private employer, and one of the most successful corporations out there. But is that a good thing! The video explains.
4. Complete questions below.
TOPIC 12 – GLOBALIZATION
The Global Economy, the Privileged Class…
1. According to the article, what has happened to employment in the postindustrial service economy?
2. According to the article. Is the “end of lifetime employment “a result of “natural economic laws”, as many politicians have claimed for decades?
3. How has globalization impacted the American worker? (Be specific, the article provides detailed explanation)
The End of Work
4. We are told by the media that rising unemployment is only a temporary effect of the economic downturn. Based on the article, what is really happening to work?
5. Why are corporations “re-engineering” when the cost to the workforce can be as much as 75% layoffs.
6. According to the article, what are some of the possible outcomes of widespread unemployment – a world without work?
Is Wal-Mart Good For America?
7. Well, is it?
This topic follows up on our previous chapter when we discussed how globalization impacts people, particularly workers in this country. This topic deals with how globalization impacts people in the poor countries who now manufacture all our consumer products. These people work for extremely low wages in appalling working conditions. The wages range anywhere from 3c/hr in Bangladesh, 14c/hr in China, and around $2 in Thailand and Malaysia, for example. This extreme global wage inequality is responsible for the fact that about ½ of the world’s people live on under $2 a day, and about 1 billion people live on a $1 a day.
The first article describes the state of working conditions in the sneaker industry in Indonesia. Note that the vast majority of the global low-wage workers are women (more than 80%)! The second article describes an extreme effect of globalization: the global sex trade and sex slavery.
1. PDF File: The Globetrotting Sneaker” – Cynthia Enloe (Below)
2. Reader 42: Because She Looks Like a Child – Bales ( Use Google)
3. Complete questions below.
TOPIC 13 – GLOBAL INEQUALITY
8. Based on what you learned from this article, why do you think the majority of these workers are women?
9. Is there anything wrong with advertising these products (sneakers) in these poor countries?
10. Are foreign corporations benefiting the poor countries of the world by setting up shop there?
Because She Looks Like a Child
11. Explain how local cultural attitudes contribute to the cycle of prostitution.
12. Explain how the global economic boom (which a. introduced Western consumer goods, and b. brought higher wages to factory laborers), feeds into sex slavery.
13. Explain the principles of debt-bondage on which this system operates.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.