MGMT 3080: Management
Individual Paper Assignment
The individual paper is designed to allow you to present a reasonable argument and support it with evidence which you gather. In management, we face many choices, and we often have to justify our decision to our employees and our supervisors. You will need to be comfortable with making arguments in support of your choices which are based on facts and research. The individual paper is your opportunity to demonstrate your understanding of course concepts as well as practice critically evaluating a chosen topic.
The individual paper should be at least 2 pages long, single-spaced, with Times New Roman 12 pt. font and 1 inch margins with appropriate spacing between paragraphs. Please believe me when I say that I have seen all of the “gimmicks,” or ways in which a paper can be made to look longer than it really is. If your paper is less than the required 2 pages after I remove the “gimmicks,” you will lose points. The paper needs to be in full paragraph format, with complete sentences. No bullet points allowed.
The paper must use a minimum of three additional sources, not counting the textbook. These can be from journal articles, websites, etc. but you will need to cite them and provide a reference to them in your paper (the references do not count in the page limit). These sources should help you support your choice and demonstrate cases where the choice you have made has been shown to be effective in the work world.
The paper must be in Microsoft Word format and attached to the Individual Paper assignment in the module for the relevant week on the course Canvas page. Do not simply type your paper into the text submission field, you must create and attach a Word document. The paper must be turned in at 11.59 pm, on 30nd October. Papers will be checked for plagiarism, so please submit only original work that you completed specifically for this assignment. Late submissions will not be accepted and will result in 0 points. Follow these instructions carefully. Any deviation from the requirements will result in a loss of points.
Finally, I expect to see you wrestling intellectually with these topics. Nothing in real life is ever black and white, or right and wrong. Both viewpoints have merits, and both have flaws, under the right circumstances. You will likely agree with one point more than the other, which is fine (and expected), but I want to see evidence that you recognize the potential merits and flaws of both positions. This is important because understanding the weaknesses of your own arguments will help you to bolster them in the future, and understanding the strengths of other’s arguments will help you to understand where they are coming from and to identify either flaws in that argument or areas of compromise.
Individual Paper Topics
First, you will need to pick one of the following three topic areas. In that topic area, you will choose which of the two viewpoints which you think is best:
· Position 1 – It is critical for the survival of the organization that our employees have strong organizational commitment. Employees who are committed to the organization are far more important than those who have good task performance.
· Position 2 – Organizational commitment is overrated. Employees are being hired to complete their tasks, so task performance is much more important than organizational commitment.
· Position 1 – The hiring process should select employees who share the cultural values of the existing members of the organization. The conflict which comes from cultural mismatches damages the company more than having a diverse set of cultural values could possibly benefit it.
· Position 2 – Hiring preference should be given to employees who have cultural values which are different from the majority of the organization’s existing employees. Diversity of cultural values is essential for the success of the organization.
· Position 1 – Teams must be made up of members who get along with one another, and teams should be encouraged to spend time together outside of work to increase the closeness of their relationship. Teams perform better when members are close to one another.
· Position 2 – Teams that are very cohesive are less creative and more likely to waste work time on personal conversations and goofing off. It is important for team members to maintain some emotional distance from one another so that they maintain a high level of team performance.
As I said above, you will choose one of these topic areas that you want to write about. You will write your paper about the viewpoint you chose in that topic area. Your paper should be at least 5 paragraphs long and follow the points below:
1. You will choose one of the viewpoints and describe why you feel that it is “correct.” You should use material from the course, as well as other resources, to support this point. It cannot simply be your opinion. You must use evidence to make your argument.
2. You will then describe the merits of the other viewpoint (the viewpoint you did not choose). Here again, this cannot be simply opinion. There is no “wrong” answer among the viewpoints, and so although you feel more strongly about the viewpoint you chose in item 1 above, here you will be discussing the merits of the alternative viewpoint.
3. Here, you will discuss the limitations or “what is wrong” about the alternative viewpoint. Essentially, this explains why you did not choose to support this point, in spite of the merits that you discussed in point 2 above. Put differently, even though there are reasons to support this alternative viewpoint, there are also limitations that you will discuss here. Keep in mind that you will need to provide evidence, not just opinion.
4. Here, you will discuss the limitations, or “what is wrong” about the viewpoint that you chose to support in point 1 above. Even though you chose this point to support, there are flaws in it that others could point to. Your task here is to identify those flaws and discuss them. You should also discuss why these flaws are perhaps “not a big deal,” or why you feel that this point is more valid in spite of the flaws. Keep in mind that you will need to provide evidence, not just opinion.
5. Here, you will discuss a personal experience with either viewpoint that influenced your choice. Perhaps you experienced something positive about one viewpoint and so you believe in it more strongly. Alternatively, you may have experienced something negative about the other viewpoint that led you to not support it. This can be an experience from a job, club, team, class, etc. You should describe the experience clearly and relate it back to course concepts.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.